Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Long Drive

I can’t believe I haven’t been in Los Angeles in all these many years. I did get off QE2 there, but then I went straight to the airport in the company of family and friends, and the “family” part of that trip has since moved to Granberry, Texas.
Time was I was racking up a free round trip on Southwest Airlines every three months or so. Then I moved to Austin 11 years ago and curtailed a lot of that traveling.
It’s the “friend” part of things that day under the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro was Steve Johnson, who’s helping me branch out into the territory band model, the trombone player on the long-ago demo and the trombone player in the picture of the band in Santa Monica right before we opened at the Los Angeles Playboy Club.
From left to right in the picture: Tim Emmons, Phil Aaron, Tom Scott, Bob Ontiveros, Steve Johnson, Neil Finn, Mike Nelson, Charlie Oreña, Clint Neagley, and me.
I am thinking of driving out to Los Angeles with the book and the horns, if Steve can get something started out there. I can pick it up and close the deal. I just might be able to stay awake long enough to make it to El Paso from here, then the rest of the way the next day.

No comments: