Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sightreading Rehearsal, and Our Flip Camera!

We had an excellent rehearsal last night, playing stuff that no humans had played before. Until now, the notes were in Finale and I was depending on the playback sounds in QuickTime. Plenty of stuff was plowed through, all of it found to be worthy of further attention. Now all we need is a place where coffee or beer is served. I’m afraid Jimmy’s music room, while it sounds nice, is too small for folks to come and hear us.

Participating: Paul Baker and Tony Bray on tenors, Chris Kapral on baritone, Kevin Flatt and Jimmy Shortell on trumpets, Ulrican Williams on trombone, Ulrich Ellison on guitar, John Groves on piano, Kris Afflerbaugh on bass, and Jimmy on drums. We ran several vocal charts, but no canary. I want to hear the band parts first. The gentlemen did an outstanding job. Here’s the first read of my adaptation of Billy May’s Front Page Rag, from the movie of the same name. Not an easy piece.

. . . And that brings to mind that Jan and I bought a Flip movie camera. I am a very happy adopter. I have a Canon HD movie camera, but I seem to always have too few arms and legs to operate it. This Flip is just a point & shoot, but sometimes that’s all you need. It’s a cinch to capture video and it records sound pretty well, although I could have presented something better than my back when I was playing clarinet on Front Page Rag.

No comments: