Monday, February 9, 2009

Charts charts charts



Wonderful news! We booked a gig through Gigmasters (I think, I haven’t been dealing with clients since my cardiac problems). Anyway, in addition to all the gigs for the 9 piece band (Original Recipe) our website declares that we have another band (Original Recipe Big Band) with a link to another site.

I’ve been a busy little chart writer, and have added to the heap Celebrate, 3 Little Words, Green Eyes, Stray Cat Strut, Do the Hustle and No Spring This Year, a ballad my dad wrote when I was a couple years old for Lad Carlton’s band back in Fitchburg. (I got an email from Lad’s daughter. He wants to know what’s going on with Dick Fenno’s kids. Maybe we’ll have something more concrete to report now.)

I got a CD from Bob Bastien, who played alto in Lad’s band in 1954. How he tracked me down I’ll never know.

The demo has S’Wonderful, No Spring This Year, Sunny Side March, and a theme song dad wrote for Lad. Three out of 4 arrangements live, in slightly modded form, in my book.

Speaking of demos, we had to cancel the Promiseland session on February 21 because we booked a gig for the smaller band, one that starts at 4 in San Antonio. I need to get together with Mike at the studio and push back a time we can all agree to.

But meanwhile I am cautiously calling a rehearsal for next week. The upcoming big band gig is in June, in Stonewall, and pays $200.

That means leverage. Calendars graven into stone will thus be made flexible.

No comments: