Friday, August 19, 2011

Aligning Myself With the Forces of Darkness

OK, so the bandleader called back and offered me the gig on the 20th of August which I described in the last post.

I could have said no. When it's all over, I might very well wish I had. But I need the money and I want to work. Not to mention this being exactly the thing I do pretty well.

How the worm turned and things he got around to calling me again I'll never know. We re-enacted that awkward conversation about "What is your rate," but I made it simple for him by asking what the other guys are making, which he wouldn't tell me of course, but which made the opening for him to offer me a sum that I consider respectable.

Now I'm committed to two rehearsals, one on Sunday the 14th up at this end of the bay, one in Monterey next week on an undetermined weeknight, and the gig itself, which if I understand correctly will be at a somewhat new restaurant.

There look to be two horns, me and a trombone player.

Then the guy sends my a buttload of MP3 files of Frank singing Frank. Like I need this. OK, so I'll be listening for keys and going with the backgrounds I remember. I mentioned that I have a book, but he was non-responsive so I let it drop. Too bad. I could have a whole book for the gig but it'll cost ya, buddy!

It all reminds me of the old English folks I used to encounter on the QE2 who were taking her last World Cruise in 2008. The would fulminate about the old ship being sold to Dubai for "mere money." I will, it appears, work for anybody offering me the same.

No comments: